Hyper-V Dynamic Memory Allocation strikes again… I have decided to no longer use Dynamic Memory Allocation on any of my virtual machines. It is a fine idea in theory but it is extremely buggy and I am not sure how it made it into a production OS…
What’s the issue this time around? This is my third article talking about a bug related to Dynamic Memory Allocation. In this case it has to do with the clock sync on the VM. Which is a major ordeal if you happen to be working with a virtualized Domain Controller. Here was the situation… every time power got cut to the host and subsequently the VM was “hard powered” off, upon reboot the clock would be off by several hours. (more…)
So you have just built your brand new Server 2012 box and need to download and install some software to get it up and running for the intended user. You open up IE because that is the only browser installed on a new box and hop on over to the download site, click the link to download and STOP…
“Security Alert: Your current security settings do not allow this file to be downloaded.”
Oh yes, you know the fix for this, go to server manager, fumble around and hit “local server” and then find the “IE Enhanced Security Configuration” and turn it off. Restart Internet Explorer…
It still won’t let you download and gives you the same message…
So what gives? You are a local admin on the box (at least, maybe even a Domain admin…), turned off Enhanced Security, and yet, Microsoft still says no. Do the following as turning off Enhanced Security Mode is part 1 but you need part 2.
- Open up Internet Explorer (IE)
- Click the “Gear” in the upper-right-hand corner
- Click Properties
- Click the Security Tab
- Click “custom level” button while “internet” up top is highlighted..
- Scroll Down and find the Downloads Section –> File Download
- Tick “enable” then “ok” and “Apply” and get out and back to work
Thank you Microsoft for babysitting us all until we absolutely lose our minds…
Ran into an issue to day installing Server 2012 R2 from an ISO file onto a fresh/brand new VM.
"0xE0000100: "Windows installation encountered an unexpected error. Verify that the installation sources are accessible, and restart the installation."
A little Google-Fu fixed me right up. New VM’s only have 512 MB of “startup memory” and you need to set it to at least 1024 MB to allow the installation to proceed without error.
I had Dynamic Memory setup with a range of 512 MB to 8192 MB and thought I would be okay. Not so. Anyhow, I just statically gave it 4 Gb for the install and changed it around once the install was finished. That being said, I am keeping the startup memory at 1024 MB now for all Server 2008R2+ VM’s.
I love Hyper-V 3.0… particularly compared to earlier versions. It comes packed with some very nice new features, several of which are geared around the idea of thin deployment. One such feature is Dynamic Memory. Dynamic Memory allows you to set a base “Starting” amount of RAM for a server (say something low like 512 MB) and then also set a max amount it can take up (say 8 Gb). The idea is that you can over-provision RAM on a Host server and still be okay if the majority of your VM’s are usually just sitting their idle. Which in most cases they usually are. The problem is that on the client machine, if you are running Windows Task manager at least, you will almost always see 90 – 95% memory utilization and it will show whatever the max is that your server can scale to (say 8 GB).
This really threw me off recently. I had one VM that was misbehaving due to having the VHDX file on a slow share on a storage array. Initially, not knowing what was broken, I took a look at task manager on the VM (which was running Server 2012) and noted that it was showing nearly Maxed out RAM usage. Further investigation though showed that it couldn’t possibly be using more than 1 Gb (of the 8 Gb shown in task manager) at any one time.
After some further investigation I learned that this is common behavior on VM’s that are allocated memory dynamically and nothing to be concerned with. The VM today still has dynamic memory and still shows 95% usage pretty much all the time but runs just fine now that the VHDX file has been moved to faster storage. Anyhow, hope this helps someone else out!