I am attempting to integrate SSO (Single Sign On) with Facebook for one of my Drupal sites. (www.rockchipfirmware.com). After a bit of research and digging through modules I decided to give the “Drupal for Facebook” module a go. Talk about a PAIN IN THE AR$E…

I should have suspected when the description of the module was a page long and there are two different version of the module that require further description for each. A feature list showing what differed between the two module would have been nice… Nope…

Going in blind I attempted to go with the 3.x branch of the module as that is supposed to be stable.

This thing is bulky… lots of code being thrown about and adds about 15 modules to your Drupal list… also not a good sign…

I dove in anyhow…

Not a typical module install either… In addition to uploading the module folder to your site and enabling the module (all standard fare…). They require that you jump on git-hub and pull down code that has to go in your /sites/all/libraries folder (not a huge ordeal but not expected…), then you have to update/modify your settings.php file (also not a big deal, but not expected…) THEN, you can enable all three modules… THEN you need go to facebook and get an App Developer API Key… and THEN it still wouldn’t work. Every time I tried to create an APP (something that is apparently necessary to enable the only thing I wanted, SSO) it would just drop be back to, oddly enough, the Github page… go figure…. I just realized what I did… I didn’t load those files from Github correctly… Will revisit this topic after I test again…. If it works great, but my point still stands… all of that hassle seems a bit ridiculous for a rather simple feature (and there is a simpler SSO module for Facebook but from the description it sounded like it wouldn’t have the feature I wanted.. (tying a FB users account to their Drupal account on my site). All that being said, I have had to work with Microsoft Active Directory Federation Services in the past to get SSO working from our Domain to a Citrix Sharefile server… That was an absolute month (yes… MONTH) from hell in my technical career… I did get it to work though… 🙂

Anyhow, wish me luck. I am going to go put the correct files in my Libraries folder and see how it goes…

Cheers!

1 of 1

This post has no comments. Be the first to leave one!

Leave a Reply